DAVID AND GOLIATH: THE SPIRIT OF FEAR AND THE SPIRIT OF FAITH – CHAPTER 20
BINDING AND LOOSING #2
Review from 02-20-05:
FEAR EXISTS ONLY IN THE ABSENCE OF LOVE
(1 John 4:18) There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1. (2 Tim 1:7) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound [disciplined, i.e. self-controlled] mind.
2. fear = Dict: a painful feeling of impending danger, evil, trouble, etc.
3. afraid = Dict: feeling fear; filled with apprehension: afraid to go.
4. Satan (Goliath) binds through fear. Whose fear? Fear generates fear.
5. God looses through faith. Whose faith? “according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith [belief]” (Rom 12:3). “God is love” (1 John 4:8,16). Faith is love. Faith (love) generates faith (love). “And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith” (Luke 17:5).
6. “Be not afraid” 26x; “Fear not” 63x.
7. (Gen 1:1-3) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void [empty]; and darkness [darkness; fig. misery, destruction, death, ignorance, sorrow, wickedness] was upon the face of the deep [an abyss (as a surging mass of water)]. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light [luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.): bright, clear, day, morning, sun]: and there was light.
THEIR FEAR BOUND THEM TO DEATH
(Gen 2:17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not
eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely
die. [Adam lived 930 years].