DAVID AND GOLIATH: THE SPIRIT OF FAITH AND THE SPIRIT OF FEAR, CHAPTER 6
THE PRINT OF GOLIATH’S SPEAR IS THE MARK OF CAIN
The giants of this age are beast-men,
1. Goliath’s shield is the television screen through which “strong delusion” (2 Th 2:11) is projected by the false prophet, i.e., godless television Producers. [delivered 10-31-04 #4 in this series]
2. The wooden shaft of Goliath’s spear is the cumulative heritage of the evil line of Cain (Gen 4:17-24), from Adam to Lamech, the 7th generation of Adam. Seven is the biblical number of completion.
3. The spear’s head of iron consists of the 7 members of the family of Lamech. These seven manifest in their Hebrew name meanings and associations nine types of evil, counterfeiting and perverting the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit: Lamech (polygamy, murder), Adah (lust), Jabal (disobedience), Jubal (pride), Zillah (fear), Tubalcain (sin, worldly judgment), and Naamah (Satan’s delight). [delivered 11-07-04 #5 in this series]
AM NOT I A PHILISTINE?
(1 Sam 17:8) And he [Goliath] stood and cried unto the armies of Israel, and said unto them, Why are ye come out to set your battle in array [battle formation]? am not I a Philistine [nope – not really. Goliath was an Anakim – a descendant of a race of giants], and ye servants to Saul? choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me.
1. (Gen 6:1-5) And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God [fallen angels: Job 1:6; 2:1] saw the daughters of men that they were fair [beautiful]; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants [fallen ones] in the earth in those days; and also after that [Nero, Stalin, Hitler, Yasser Arafat], when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. [“the angels that sinned” 2 Pet 2:4 & Jude 6]
2. (Josh 11:22) There was none of the Anakims left in the land of the children of Israel: only in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, there remained.
3. Anakims = Heb: a necklace (as if strangling): chain /// to choke, to collar.
4. (Mark 4:18,19) And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke [to strangle completely] the word, and it becometh unfruitful [barren – Satan’s goal: to neutralize saved].
5. “and one bearing a shield went before him” = Heb: a hook (as pointed); also a (large) shield (as if guarding by prickliness); also cold (as piercing): buckler, cold, hook, shield /// to be prickly; a thorn; hence a thorn-hedge:--thorn.
THE GIANT GOLIATH IS THE ARCHETYPE OF BEASTLINESS IN A MAN
(Eph 6:11,12) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles [trickery: lie in wait] of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers [authorities], against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
1. (Luke 8:30) And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils [demons, i.e. alien voices] were entered into him. [“thorns… entering in” Mark 4:18,19]
2. Legion = Dict: 1. an infantry brigade in the army of ancient Rome, numbering from 3,000 to 6,000 men. 2. a military or semi-military unit. 3. any large body of armed men.
3. “Neither could any man tame him” (Mark 5:4), applies to the demonically possessed wild man of the Gadarenes as well as to Goliath, for the giant Goliath is the archetype of beastliness in a man.
4. (Eccl 3:18) I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts [a dumb beast; espec. any large quadruped or animal: beast, cattle].
AN ALIEN PRESENCE
Commentary: Goliath is the picture of a man, supernaturally puffed up by “many devils;” a greatly enlarged man, a giant of a man containing a multitude of evil spirits who are puffing him up, PRIDE, like leaven inside a loaf of bread. What? Do you not yet comprehend that leaven is an alien presence inside bread?
1. (Mat 16:11,12) How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine [the alien voices] of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees [“and of the leaven of Herod” Mark 8:15];
2. (Luke 12:1b) Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy [acting under a feigned part, (fig.) deceit].
THE MARK OF CAIN
(1 Tim 4:1,2) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly [out-spokenly, distinctly - emphatically], that in the latter times [now] some shall depart from the faith, giving heed [accounting creditability] to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking [voicing] lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience [moral consciousness] seared with a hot iron [to brand ("cauterize") [to mark], (by impl.) to render unsensitive /// to set on fire, consume: burn];
METAPHORS: GOLIATH HIMSELF IS A GIANT SPEAR, (and a giant thorn)
Commentary: Goliath may also be pictured as a gigantic spear piercing the side of the body of the Israelite host (Saul and the army of God) with his head (his voice). He sticks or pierces his head (voice and thoughts) into you.
1. (John 19:33,34) But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water [i.e. New Testament and Old Testament; association: “David hasted”].
2. (1 Sam 17:48) And it came to pass, when the Philistine [Goliath] arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted [to be liquid or flow easily], and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine. [David was the voice (word) of God; Goliath was the voice (word) of Satan]
3. (Joel 2:11) And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it? [answer: only the saved, fire does not burn fire]
4. We, all born-again Christians, are that David (Heb: loving, beloved) company. We are currently in military school being trained up, taught in the way that we should go. Very soon, upon graduation, we shall run “toward the army” with the voice of God, which is the Sword of the Lord, and utterly defeat the uncircumcised Philistine. Just as Jesus Christ is the Sword (cutting) of the Lord (John 1:14), even so we are now partially, and are becoming fully, that same Sword of the Lord. Goliath is the spear (piercing) of Satan. Different functions. “The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.” (Judg 7:18,20).