DAVID AND GOLIATH: THE SPIRIT OF FAITH AND THE SPIRIT OF FEAR - CHAPTER 2
FIGHTING OVER THE BODY
(2 Tim 1:7) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind [i.e. the Spirit of faith].
INVASION: THE LAST BATTLEFIELD, THE CHURCH, FIGHTING OVER THE BODY
(1 Sam 17:1-3) Now the Philistines [originally a sea people. Possessing superior weapons of iron] gathered together their armies to battle, and were gathered together at Shochoh, which belongeth to Judah, and pitched between Shochoh [thorn-hedge] and Azekah [a place tilled (plowed, cultivated)], in Ephesdammim [boundary of blood-drops, border of blood]. And Saul and the men of Israel were gathered together, and pitched by the valley of Elah, and set the battle in array [in battle formation] against the Philistines. And the Philistines stood on a mountain [of power] on the one side, and Israel stood on a mountain [of power] on the other side: and there was a valley between them.
1. Philistines = Heb: rolling, i.e. migratory /// to roll (in dust):--roll (wallow) self.
2. Judah = Heb: celebrated (celebrate; praise) /// lit. to use (i.e. hold out) the hand; phys. to throw (a stone, an arrow) at or away; espec. to revere or worship (with extended hands): cast (out), (make) confess (-ion), praise, shoot, (give) thank (-ful, -s, -sgiving) /// a hand (the open one [indicating power]).
3. Elah = Heb: an oak or other strong tree /// strength; hence anything strong; spec. a chief (politically); also a ram (from his strength); a pillar (as a strong support):--mighty (man), lintel, oak, post, ram, tree.
4. “valley of Elah” = Heb: 'emeq, ay'-mek; a vale (i.e. broad depression):--dale, vale, valley
5. “valley between them” = Heb: gay', gah'ee; or gay, gah'ee; a gorge (from its lofty sides; hence narrow /// exaltation; (fig.) arrogance:--lifting up, pride /// the back, i.e. (by extens.) the person:--body.
6. (Jude 1:9) Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst [dared] not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
INTRODUCING IN THIS CORNER GOLIATH (a.k.a. ANTICHRIST): THE SPIRIT OF FEAR
“THAT SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST” (1 John 4:3)
(1 Sam 17:4) And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath [a remnant of the giants – symbol of antichrist], of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span [9’9”-13’4”].
1. (Rev 13:1,2) And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast [a dangerous animal: (venomous, wild) beast] rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion [“the devil, as a roaring lion” 1 Pet 5:8]: and the dragon [the Devil, Satan] gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
2. champion = Strong’s: Heb: ‘iysh, eesh; man /// Young’s Analytical Concordance: a man of intervention /// Nelson Study Bible: a man who is a go-between. [i.e. one who represents the whole]
3. Goliath = Heb: exile /// to denude [Dict: to make naked or bare; strip] (espec. in a disgraceful sense); by impl. to exile (captives being usually stripped); fig. to reveal: + advertise, appear, bewray [Dict: expose, reveal], bring, (carry, lead, go) captive (into captivity), depart, disclose, discover, exile, be gone, open, X plainly, publish, remove, reveal, X shamelessly, shew, X surely, tell, uncover.
4. Gath = Heb: (in the sense of treading out grapes); a wine-press (or vat for holding the grapes in pressing them):--(wine-) press (fat).
5. (Isa 45:7) I form [(through the squeezing into shape); to mould into a form; espec. as a potter] the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
6. light = Heb: illumination or luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.): bright, clear, + day, light (-ning), morning, sun
7. darkness = Heb: the dark; hence (lit.) darkness; fig. misery, destruction, death, ignorance, sorrow, wickedness: dark (-ness), night, obscurity.
8. (Isa 54:16) Behold, I have created the smith [a fabricator of any material: artificer, carpenter, craftsman, engraver, mason, workman] that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument [something prepared (as an implement, utensil, dress, vessel or weapon] for his work; and I have created the waster [to decay, ruin: corrupter, destroyer, perish, spoiler] to destroy.
9. Satan = Heb: an opponent: espec. Satan, the arch-enemy of good: adversary, Satan, withstand /// to attack, (fig.) accuse:--(be an) adversary, resist.