ENGAGED TO THE LORD, ARE YOU PREPARING YOUR SELF
FOR THE WONDERFUL WEDDING, OR ARE YOU SLEEPING?
(Rev 21:2) And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared [Gk: made ready] as a bride adorned [Gk: 2885; to put in proper order [vs. chaos], i.e. decorate: trimmed] [“as a bride adorned” with the fruit of the Spirit: Gal 5:22; Eph 5:9] for her husband.
(Mat 25:1-4) Then shall the kingdom of heaven [or, the kingdom of God] be likened unto ten virgins [a type of ten Christians], which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels [Gk: pails] [“took oil in flasks” New American Standard Bible] with their lamps.
1. The Nelson Study Bible: The ten virgins in this parable were waiting for the wedding procession that went from the bride’s home to the home of her husband. This nighttime procession would use lamps to light the way because ancient cities did not have streetlights.
2. (Psa 119:105) NUN. Thy word [the Bible] is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
3. Commentary: Oil is a biblical symbol of the Holy Spirit. “Thy word” is the light of the Bible, the Holy Spirit shinning forth that illuminates “my path,” the assumption being that there is only gross darkness within us (“And the earth was without form, and void [chaos]; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.” Gen 1:2) until the life-saving lamp reveals the “way” to heaven, which is hidden. However, five of the ten virgins, perhaps representing half the people in our congregations, were foolish in that they declined the opportunity to take of the available oil (Holy Spirit) with them, thereby limiting their understanding of the kingdom of heaven to a Bible full of unintelligible dark sayings completely void of the enlightening Spirit of God. Having no Holy Spirit (no oil), these five foolish virgins were not saved, not born-again, but were professing or nominal Christians, who only believed “for a while.”
a. (Luke 8:13) They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation [Gk: testing] fall away.
4. (John 16:13,14) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth [the light of life], is come, he will guide you [Gk: to show the way (teach): guide, lead] into all truth [through the darkness of this world]: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
5. (1 John 2:27) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
(Mat 25:5-9) While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered [Gk: nodded] and slept [“Be sober, be vigilant” 1 Pet 5:8]. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed [Gk: 2885; put in proper order] [vs. chaos] their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell [Gk: trade; to barter (as a peddler)], and buy [Gk: to go to market, i.e. to purchase; spec. to redeem] for yourselves [i.e., go to a preacher (a salesman for God) and sell (exchange) your time to buy (purchase, redeem) your understanding].
1. The Pulpit Commentary: One man cannot give that holy oil to another – only God can give it; one man cannot save another’s soul – only God can save us. The wise virgins did all that they could do for their companions – they bade them go to them that sell. All that we can do is to point the sinner to Christ: “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world!” Sinners must come to him in their need; they must buy of him as he counsels them, and that for themselves. Others cannot buy the precious oil for them; it must be bought with their own prayers, their own crying and tears.
2. (Rev 3:14-19) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm [Gk: tepid], and neither cold nor hot, I will spue [Gk: vomit] thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold [revelations] tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
3. (Rev 3:5) He that overcometh [Gk: subdues: conquers, prevails, gets the victory] [over what? over who?], the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
(Mat 25:10-13) And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they [the five wise virgins] that were ready [Gk: (fitness); adjusted, i.e. ready: prepared] went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. [The LORD shut out the unsaved citizens of the world]. Afterward came also the other [five foolish virgins] virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch [Gk: keep awake: be vigilant] therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh [a concluding admonishment to focus on godliness].
1. ready = Dictionary: 1. completely prepared or in due condition for immediate action or use: troops ready for battle, dinner is ready. 2. duly equipped, completed, adjusted, or arranged, as for the occasion or purpose. 3. willing.
2. (Exo 12:9-12) Eat not of it [the lamb] raw, nor sodden [Heb: boiled] at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance [Heb: bowels, inward parts] thereof. And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire. And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD'S passover. For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
3. (Eph 6:13-18) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
4. (Gen 7:16) And they that went in [to Noah’s ark], went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in [the LORD shut out the unsaved citizens of the world].
5. (Gen 19:6) And Lot went out at the door [of his home] unto them, and shut the door after him [Lot shut out the unsaved citizens, specifically of Sodom],
6. (Gen 19:10) But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house [of Lot] to them, and shut to the door [the two angels shut out the unsaved citizens, specifically of Sodom].