THE THOUGHTFUL MAN, AND THE SLOTHFUL MAN
(Prov 24:30-32) I went by the field of the slothful [Dict: sluggardly; indolent; lazy], and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down. Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction.
(Mat 13:1,2) The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore [Gk: beach] [i.e. a lifeless place].
BY THE WAY SIDE
(Mat 13:3,4) And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow; And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way [Gk: road] side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
1. parable = Gk: a similitude ("parable"), i.e. (symbolic) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apothegm or adage:--comparison, figure, parable, proverb.
2. Dictionary: sow = 1. to scatter (seed) over land, earth, etc., for growth; plant (seed, and hence a crop).
3. (Luke 8:11) Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God [i.e., the godly thoughts of God].
4. Commentary: “and he spake many things unto them” = who were standing on dry land while he taught them as he was sitting in the ship, being supported by the water (symbolically, the Holy Spirit).
5. (Mat 13:18,19) [JESUS’ INTERPRETATION OF THE TONGUE] Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. When any one heareth the word of the kingdom [godly thoughts], and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one [“Satan” Mark 4:15; “the devil” Luke 8:12], and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
UPON STONY PLACES
(Mat 13:5,6) Some [godly thoughts] fell upon stony places [hard places, indicating hardness of heart], where they had not much earth [depth]: and forthwith [Gk: immediately] they sprung up [as our thoughts that are spontaneous impulsive not well thought-out, not properly considered, not properly structured thoughts], because they had no deepness of earth [had received no meditative pondering contemplative attention from us]: And when the sun was up [dawn, daylight, judgment time; exposing the untruthfulness of the thoughts], they [the impulsive mingled with the world perverted evil thoughts, and the people containing them] were scorched [Gk: burned]; and because they [the impulsive mingled with the world perverted evil thoughts] had no root [no proper foundation, no Jesus, no grasp of Jesus, no mutually clinging uniting basis for everlasting life in Jesus Christ: Rev 5:5; 22:16], they withered away [Gk: desiccated; shriveled up] [like the lifeless corpses that they were; zombies, the walking dead].
1. Commentary: “stony places” = hard areas in our heart that we will not (we refuse to) sacrifice or give up to God, such as cigarettes, drinking intoxicating liquor, drugs, swearing, stealing, lusting, etc.
2. (1 Cor 3:10,11) According to the grace of God which is given unto me [Paul], as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed [Gk: beware] how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
3. (Mat 13:20,21) [JESUS’ INTERPRETATION OF THE TONGUE] But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word [godly thoughts], and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth [Gk: endures] for a while: for when tribulation [Gk: affliction] or persecution ariseth because of the word [because of the recipient’s inadequate poorly thought-out and under-developed unstructured acceptance of the godly thoughts of Jesus Christ], by and by he is offended [falls away].
4. offended = Gk: ("scandalize"); entrapped, i.e. tripped up (fig. stumble or enticed to sin, apostasy or displeasure) /// snared; stumbling-block.
(Mat 13:7) And some [godly thoughts] fell among thorns [distracting influences]; and the thorns sprung up [very active lively distractions], and choked them [overwhelmed the godly thoughts; blocked the sunlight]:
1. choked = Gk: stifled /// throttled or strangled, take by the throat [so as to make it impossible to speak, to bring forth the word]
2. (Mat 13:22) [JESUS’ INTERPRETATION OF THE TONGUE] He also that received seed [of godly thoughts] among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and [thoughts of] the care [Gk: distractions] of this world, and [thoughts of] the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word [overwhelm the word], and he becometh unfruitful [Gk: barren: without fruit].
INTO GOOD GROUND
(Mat 13:8,9) But other [godly thoughts] fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit [godly thoughts, “seed after his kind” Gen 1:11], some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
1. (Mat 13:23) [JESUS’ INTERPRETATION OF THE TONGUE] But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word [godly thoughts], and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.