REVIVAL IS IN THE WIND IN AMERICA, (Gideon, part 2)
Commentary: A wonderful but limited revival (Gideon called only four of the twelve tribes) is fast approaching as the living conditions of born-again Christians rapidly worsen. Revival is the burnt offering ministry of salvation. Repentance by us is the sacrifice requiring the anointing water of the Word washing (Eph 5:26) the outside of the body via a type of John the Baptist (that is who we are). Forgiveness by God is the acceptance of the sacrifice requiring the anointing fire of the Word (Jer 23:29) thoroughly cleansing the inside of the body via Jesus Christ (that is also who we are), altogether equaling salvation. Yes, we are the antitype (fulfillment) of the complete ministry of both John the Baptist and Jesus Christ. And in the last days, “And saviours [(plural)] shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau [symbolically referring to the flesh]; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S.” (Obadiah 21).
1. (Mat 3:11) I [John the Baptist] indeed baptize you with water [a symbol of the Holy Ghost] unto repentance [Gk: to think differently]: but he that cometh after me [Jesus Christ] is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire [(parallelism)] [unto salvation]: [water and fire]
THE SEVEN YEAR TRIBULATION SUMMATION
(Judg 6:1-6) And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD delivered them into the hand of Midian seven years [the prophecy of the Seven Year Tribulation]. And the hand of Midian prevailed against Israel: and because of the Midianites the children of Israel made them the dens which are in the mountains, and caves, and strong holds. And so it was, when Israel had sown, that the Midianites came up, and the Amalekites, and the children of the east, even they came up against them; And they encamped against them, and destroyed the increase of the earth, till thou come unto Gaza, and left no sustenance for Israel, neither sheep, nor ox, nor ass. For they came up with their cattle and their tents, and they came as grasshoppers for multitude; for both they and their camels were without number: and they entered into the land to destroy it. And Israel was greatly impoverished because of the Midianites; and the children of Israel cried unto the LORD.
1. Commentary: The Seven Year Tribulation (Gk: pressure: affliction, anguish, burden, persecution, trouble) is not designed to punish the unsaved for they shall receive their due punishment anon, and to punish them temporarily just before punishing them eternally serves no godly purpose, but conversely, has a sadistic bent. Please note from the circumstances in the latter prophetic verses that the invading Midianite (Ishmaelite: Judg 8:24: modern day Islamic) horde seemed quite happy and content, not working at all for their provisions (oil spouting out of the ground) and plundering whatsoever else they cared for at will (with the abundance of their oil dollars), until the very end of the tribulation period. However, the seven year tribulation is indeed prepared by God for the purification and cleansing of Christians. Father God has deliberately designed the tribulation to prune, purge, completely purify, and thereby make white the garment of the espoused Bride of Christ. The Great Tribulation (the second 3 ½ years) is the final most intensive preparation or thorough “cleansing” of the entire tribulation period, painfully testing us, “proving” each of us as part of the composite fiery sword of God repeatedly thrust into perfect water (water and fire), and all this is intended to fashion the Bride into flawless harmony and readiness for the long-awaited consummation of her marriage to the Lamb of God. Another mixed image: we are becoming “The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon” (Judg 7:18,20) in the Bridegroom’s (Gideon’s) hand.
a. (Dan 12:10) Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried [Heb: refined]; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
b. tried = Heb: to fuse (metal), i.e. refined:--cast, (re-) fine (-er), founder, goldsmith, melt, pure, purge away, try.
REPENTANCE ON OUR PART
A TYPIFICATION OF JOHN THE BAPTIST APPEARS IN US
(Judg 6:7-10) And it came to pass, when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD because of the Midianites, That the LORD sent a prophet [Heb: an inspired man] [a messenger, an early type of John the Baptist] unto the children of Israel [Heb: he will rule as God], which said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel [7 things], I brought you up from Egypt [Heb: dual /// fortified], and brought you forth out of the house of bondage [Heb: a servant]; And I delivered you out of the hand [power, control] of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all that oppressed you [Heb: pressed, i.e. (fig.) distressed: afflicted, crushed, forced, held fast, thrust self (unto)], and drave [drove] them out from before you, and gave you their land; And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites [another name for the Canaanites], in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice [and “did evil in the sight of the LORD” Judg 6:1].
1. (Mal 3:1) Behold, I will send my messenger [a type of John the Baptist], and he shall prepare the way [of righteousness through repentance; “make his paths straight” Mat 3:3; Mark 1:3; Luke 3:4] before me: and the Lord [Jesus Christ], whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple [with forgiveness; “your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost” 1 Cor 6:19], even the messenger of the covenant [parallelism: Jesus Christ], whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
2. Commentary: “And it came to pass” = The children of Israel (you and I) are spiritual Jews who have been circumcised “in the heart” (Rom 2:28,29). As a composite saved born-again people we have been suffering in tribulation (“toiling in rowing” Mark 6:48) since, presumably, from the time of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, but certainly (identifiably) from the time of the Apostle John’s sojourn on the isle of Patmos (a,b). Very soon, the intensity of the suffering of our tribulation will abruptly increase exponentially with the onset of the second 3 ½ year period called the Great Tribulation, which in time elastic is the second Obama term of office, and will be beyond human endurance (c). Consequently, during the time of Great Tribulation, we who are a people of understanding (d) will enter into “revival” and do as our predecessors have done who “cried unto God,” and He will respond.
a. (Rev 1:9) I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience [“In your patience possess ye your souls.” Luke 21:19] of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
b. Commentary: “and companion in tribulation” = this declaration by John evidences that the timeline of “the seven year tribulation” may be somewhat elastic, for it extends at least from the time of John’s sojourn on the isle of Patmos, about 90 A.D., up through the present 2012 A.D., and on into the future.
c. (Mat 24:22) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's [Gk: the chosen] [John 15:16,19] sake those days shall be shortened.
d. (Dan 12:10) Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried [Heb: refined]; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
3. Commentary: “when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD because of the Midianites” = in the face of extreme life-threatening hardships, the children of Israel repented of their evil ways (like the people of Nineveh did, and the people of America shall do) and cried unto the LORD for forgiveness, which happenstance will prophetically result in a very brief but intense revival (Judg 6,7) led by a numerically small (figuratively 300) but spiritually powerful group of chosen and “proven” warriors (water and fire).