ANOINTING, AND THE JOSEPH/BENJAMIN -
10-06-13 This message may be viewed live streaming video at www.tabernacleofmoses.org commencing today Sunday at 11:00am, and repeated 24/7 for one week; thereafter, the audio and notes without video are archived.
AND SHADOWS OF THE ANOINTING IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
(Gen 37:3,4) Now Israel [Heb: he will rule as God, prince with God] loved Joseph [Heb: let him add, adding] [the 11th son] more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat [Heb: robe] of many colours. And when his brethren [Heb: brothers] saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him.
1. Commentary: Jacob and Rachel had a son named Joseph (Heb: let him add; adding) who may be prominently found throughout Genesis chapters 37-50; the last of the book of Genesis in chapter 50 ending with the death of Joseph. Joseph was the last and eleventh son of Jacob (Heb: heel-catcher, supplanter) (trickster, deceiver) and Jacob’s favorite wife Rachel (Heb: ewe, sheep) who is a type and shadow of the church. After Jacob was blessed by God with a name/character change (a type of salvation; a type of being born-again) into Israel (Heb: he will rule as God), Israel and Rachel had one more son named Benjamin (Heb: son of the right hand). Did a portion of the blessing of God flow through Israel and Rachel into Benjamin? Certainly. The Benjamin company is the younger and only full brother to Joseph (Jesus Christ). Uniquely, of the twelve tribes (sons) of Jacob-Israel, only Joseph and Benjamin were mothered by Rachel and thus only Joseph and Benjamin comprise the sheep company. As a good sheep, Benjamin followed Joseph in birth and death. You and I are the antitype (fulfillment) of the Benjamin company, obedient sheep following Jesus.
2. (Gen 37:23-25) And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his [ten] brethren [while they were feeding their flock in Shechem, notably without Benjamin], that they stripped Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many colours that was on him; And they took him, and cast him into a pit [Heb: well]: and the pit was empty, there was no water [a type and shadow of the Holy Spirit] in it [a type and shadow of Hell]. And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a company of Ishmeelites [“Midianites merchantmen” Gen 37:28; modern day Muslims] came [away] from [rather than to] Gilead [Heb: mound of stones, mass of testimony, heap of witness] [a type and shadow of the cross] with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh [traffickers (Gomorrah = Heb: make merchandise of) seeking to profit], going to carry it down to Egypt [symbolically, the land of the unsaved].
3. Commentary: Joseph is the only perfect (one can find no fault in him at all) type and shadow of Jesus Christ in the Bible. Joseph is the wearer of the “coat [Heb: robe] of many colours” (Gen 37:3,23,32) which is a type and shadow of the covering of the anointing, also represented in the Old Testament by the curtains covering the tabernacle (Exo 26:1) wherein the tabernacle is a clear type and shadow of Jesus Christ.
ANOINTING OF THE TABERNACLE
(Exo 26:1-4) Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen [Heb: white], and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them. The length of one curtain shall be eight and twenty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and every one of the curtains shall have one measure. The five curtains shall be coupled together one to another; and other five curtains shall be coupled one to another. And thou shalt make loops of blue upon the edge of the one curtain from the selvedge [Heb: termination] in the coupling; and likewise shalt thou make in the uttermost edge of another curtain, in the coupling of the second.
1. Commentary: These same four colors were used in five strips of fabric, although of different sizes, in the gate (“the way” covering the inner compound), the door (“the truth” covering the holy place), the veil (“and the life” covering the most holy place), and the ceiling (covering the tabernacle/Jesus Christ). (John 14:6).
ANOINTING OF AARON
(Exo 29:4-9) And Aaron [a type and shadow of Jesus Christ as the High Priest] and his sons thou shalt bring unto the door [“I am the door” John 10:7,9] of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shalt wash them with water [“That he might sanctify and cleanse it [the church, and those within] with the washing of water by the word” Eph 5:26]. And thou shalt take the garments, and put upon Aaron the coat, and the robe of the ephod, and the ephod, and the breastplate, and gird him with the curious girdle of the ephod: And thou shalt put the mitre [Heb: a tiara, i.e. official turban (of a king or high priest: diadem] upon his head, and put the holy crown upon the mitre. Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him. And thou shalt bring his sons, and put coats upon them. And thou shalt gird them with girdles, Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on them: and the priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate [“ordain” NIV] Aaron and his sons [i.e., Please note that only Aaron is anointed, whereas he and his sons are consecrated].
1. anointing = Heb: unction (the act); by impl. a consecratory gift:--(to be) anointed (-ing), ointment /// to rub with oil, i.e. to anoint; by impl. to consecrate; also to paint:--anoint, paint.
2. (1 John 2:20) But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
3. unction = Gk: chrisma; an unguent or smearing, i.e. (fig.) the spec. endowment ("chrism") of the Holy Spirit:--anointing, unction. /// through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. (by impl.) to consecrate to an office or religious service:--anoint.
4. unction = Dict: the shedding of a divine or spiritual influence upon a person.
5. (Luke 22:20) Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
THE ANOINTING IN THE NEW TESTAMENT AND THE SHEEP COMPANY (US)
Joseph is the only perfect type of Jesus Christ in the Bible. Over and above his
brothers, Joseph (Heb: let him add, adding) received an additional coat (a
covering), a “coat of many colours”
(Gen 37:3) from his father, which points to the four colors of the
robes that Jesus wore (His covering) in
the New Testament (blue: Exo 28:31,32 &
John 19:23; purple: John 19:2; scarlet: Mat 27:28; white “fine twined linen”
Mark 9:3), and also points to the same four colors
appearing in five strips or bands
of the fabric of the gate, door, veil, and the ceiling of the tabernacle, which
is commonly and conventionally called the “tabernacle of Moses”
because Moses was charged with its assembly. However, the phrase or designation
of “tabernacle of Moses” does not exist
in the KJV, NKJV, or NIV Bibles; the tabernacle should correctly and
quite properly be called “the Tabernacle of Jesus Christ” because He
is the Tabernacle.
purple = (John 19:1-3)
Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And the soldiers
platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a
purple robe, And said, Hail, King of the
Jews! and they smote him with their hands.
scarlet = (Mat 27:27,28)
Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and
gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers. And they stripped him, and put on
him a scarlet robe.
white = (Mark 9:2-4)
And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and
leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was
transfigured before them. And his raiment [Gk: robe] became shining, exceeding
white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can
white them. And there appeared unto them Elijah with Moses: and they were
talking with Jesus.
blue = (Exo 28:31,32) And [for
High Priest Aaron] thou shalt make the robe of the ephod all of
blue. And there shall be an hole in the
top of it, in the midst thereof: it shall have a binding of woven
work round about the hole of it, as it were
the hole of an habergeon [“like the opening in a coat of mail”
NKJV], that it be not rent.
(John 19:23,24) Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and
also his coat: now the coat was without
seam, woven from the top throughout.
They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it,
but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled,
which saith, They parted my raiment [robe] among them, and for my vesture
they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
WE ARE “IN CHRIST” (77x) = Gk: anointed
(Rom 8:1) There is therefore
now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the
flesh, but after the Spirit.
(1 Cor 15:22) For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ
shall all be made alive.
(2 Cor 5:17) Therefore if any man be in Christ,
he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
(Gal 3:28) There is neither
Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female:
for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
(Heb 5:6) As he saith also
in another place [Psa 110:4], Thou art a priest for ever after
the order of Melchisedec.
A Man of God