lie acknowledged by millions of people in the world, virtually the entire known
(2 Th 2:1-4) Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him [the first time, or the second time, or both], That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ [Jesus Christ’s return] is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first [we are no longer a Christian nation], and that man of sin be revealed [Gk: to take off the cover, i.e. disclosed], the son of perdition [Gk: damnation] [The Antichrist]; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
1. (1 Cor 3:16) Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
(Rev 21:7,8) He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
1. (Mat 25:41) Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels [along with the fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars]:
2. (John 8:44) Ye are of your father [originator] the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father [originator] of it.
(2 Pet 2:1-3) But there were false prophets [Gk: a spurious prophet, i.e. pretended foreteller or religious impostor] also among the [unsaved] people, even as there shall be false teachers among you [within Christianity], who privily [“secretly” NKJV, NIV] shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious [Gk: damnable] ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you [Gomorrah]: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
1. (Exo 20:17) Thou shalt not covet [lust after that which is forbidden] thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
2. feigned = Gk: moulded, i.e. (by impl.) artificial or (fig.) fictitious (false) /// fabricated.
3. (Mat 24:21,22) For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved [an almost unmistakable picture of a nuclear world war]: but for the elect's [Gk: chosen] sake [“Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you” John 15:16,19] those days shall be shortened.
4. (Rev 12:11,12) And they overcame him [Satan] by the blood of the Lamb [their salvation], and by the word of their testimony [their witness]; and they loved not their lives unto the death [their faith]. Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you [i.e., them, not “us”], having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time [i.e., a part of the 3 ½ years].
(2 Pet 2:4-9) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; And turning the cities of Sodom [archetypical symbol of false doctrine] and Gomorrha [archetypical symbol of false works] into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation [Gk: behavior] of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations [Gk: testing], and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
1. Sodom = Heb: scorched; burnt (i.e. volcanic or bituminous) district.
a. (1 Tim 4:1,2) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy [Gk: acting under a feigned part, i.e. (fig.) deceit]; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
2. Gomorrah = Heb: a (ruined) heap /// to heap; fig. to chastise; spec. to gather grain:--bind sheaves, make merchandise of.
(Gen 6:1-4) And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God [fallen angels: Job 1:6; 2:1] saw the daughters of men that they were fair [Heb: beautiful, cheerful, joyful, merry, pleasant, well favoured]; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants [Heb: a feller, i.e. a bully or tyrant] [i.e., mutations] in the earth in those days [before the flood]; and also after that [after the flood], when the sons of God [fallen angels] came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men [Heb: gibbowr 'adam] which were of old, men of renown.
1. mutant = Dict: a new type of organism produced as a result of mutation.
2. mutation = Dict: 1. act or process of changing. 2. a change or alteration, as in form, qualities, or nature. 3. Biol. a sudden departure from the parent type, as when an individual differs from its parents in one or more heritable characteristics, caused by a change in a gene or a chromosome.
3. mighty = Heb: powerful; by impl. warrior, tyrant:--champion, chief, giant, mighty (one), strong.
(Job 1:6-12) Now there was a day when the sons of God [angels] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan [not Lucifer (before the fall), but Satan (after the fall)] came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
1. (1 Pet 5:8) Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
2. perfect = Heb: complete; usually (mor.) pious: undefiled, upright.
3. upright = Heb: straight: just, + pleased well right (-eous), straight, (most) upright (-ly, -ness).
4. hedge = Heb: to entwine, i.e. shut in (for formation, protection, restraint):--fence. (make an) hedge (up).
5. (Psa 34:7) The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.