SAMSON (the son of man) SEEKS A WIFE
(Judg 14:1-4) And Samson [sunlight; Gen 1:3 “Let there be light”] went down [downward] to Timnath [a portion assigned], and saw a woman [a Gentile] in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines. And he came up [returned], and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines [rolling, migratory /// to roll (in dust): roll (wallow) self]: now therefore get her for me to wife [to be my bride]. Then his father and his mother said unto him [types of God and the Holy Spirit speaking from the Law], Is there never [not] a woman among the daughters of thy brethren [Jews], or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised [unsaved] Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well. But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD [and neither did Samson], that he [the LORD] sought an occasion against [to seek a quarrel; TO PROVOKE] the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines [the flesh] had dominion [rule: reign, power] over Israel [the spirit].
1. (Judg 13:5) For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite [separated] unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand [power] of the Philistines.
2. The Nazarite vow (Num 6:1-21) was voluntary, had limited duration, and included three provisions: 1. abstinence from wine, strong drink, and the fruit of the vine, including raisins; 2. not cutting the hair; 3. no contact with the dead.
3. (John 4:23,24) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
4. Samson was a natural Nazarite from birth, made Holy and separated unto God in the flesh, like us from our new birth (born again) forward AS A TYPE OR SYMBOL. But Samson repeatedly sinned and failed in the flesh to keep his life Godly, like us. Jesus was a spiritual Nazarite from birth (but never so declared or acted in the flesh), Holy and separated unto God in the spirit and the flesh. Jesus succeeded in the spirit and the flesh to keep His life Godly. Actually, He could not fail for there was “no sin” in Him (2 Cor 5:21; 1 Pet 2:22; 1 John 3:5; & John 14:30). Jesus Christ led a perfect earthly life, and is in Heaven now. Samson led an exceedingly imperfect life. Nevertheless, Samson was a chosen saint from the foundation of the world, is acknowledged in the book of Hebrews “Hall of Faith” (Heb 11:32), and is now in Heaven. Now is that “good news” or what?
5. (1 Cor 15:45-49) And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul [living for himself]; the last Adam was made a quickening [life giving] spirit [living for others]. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
6. (Mat 2:1-3) Now when Jesus [faith: the spirit] was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. When Herod [sight: the flesh] the king had heard these things, he was troubled [stirred up or agitated, PROVOKED], and all Jerusalem with him.
7. Why did the star the wise men were following temporarily cease from leading them?
8. Like Samson’s mother and father and Samson himself, the wise men also “knew not that it was [their actions were] of the LORD.”
9. Herod = heroic /// a view, i.e. form:--appearance, fashion, shape, sight.
10. Herod was an Idumean of Edomite stock and a descendant of Esau. Esau symbolizes “the flesh.”
11. (2 Cor 5:7) (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
12. Didn’t Jesus also come to “begin to deliver Israel out of the hand [power] of the Philistines”?
Samson “the son of God” was motivated in the Spirit (in his subconscious) by God, and went down from Heaven and chose Him a woman (the church) of the Gentiles to be His bride.
1. subsconscious = Dict: 1. existing or operating beneath or beyond consciousness: the subconscious self. 2. imperfectly or not wholly conscious. 3. the totality of mental processes of which the individual is not aware; unreportable mental activities. [sub (submerged like an iceberg) conscious]
2. Example: dreams are not generated in the conscious part of your mind, but they are generated in the subconscious part of your mind while the conscious part of your mind is asleep and withdrawn, resting and inactive from attentive dominion and control over your thoughts.
3. (Job 33:14-18) For God speaketh once [outside you], yea twice [inside you], yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision [a revelation, espec. by dream] of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, That he may withdraw [turn aside] man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
4. (1 Ki 19:11-13) And he [God] said, Go forth [to Elijah], and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice [inside him]. And it was so, when Elijah heard it [to hear intelligently: understand] that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold [lo], there came a voice unto him [outside him], and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
5. still = Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance: Heb: silence /// to be dumb: be silent, keep (put to) silence.
6. still = Wilson’s Old Testament Word Studies: to be dumb, silent; silence.
7. still = The Companion Bible by Kregel: the sound of stillness.
8. small = Heb: crushed.