ON BEING A GOOD SOLDIER OF JESUS CHRIST
03-19-17 This message may be viewed live streaming video at www.tabernacleofmoses.org commencing today Sunday at 11:00am, and repeated 24/7 for one week; thereafter, the audio and notes without video are archived.
The brightness of our revelations depends upon the correctness of our doctrines (our building blocks)
(2 Tim 2:1-7) Thou therefore, my son [Timothy = Gk: dear to God], be strong in the grace  that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men [i.e., men full of faith], who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness [Gk: undergo hardship: suffer trouble], as a good soldier [Gk: warrior] of Jesus Christ [our Commander-in-chief] . No man that warreth [Gk: to serve in a military campaign] entangleth himself with [Gk: to entwine, involves: entangles self with] the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully. The husbandman [Gk: land worker, farmer] that laboureth must be first partaker [the tithe] of the fruits. Consider  what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
1. grace = Gk: the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude: benefit, gift, favor, pleasure, thanks (worthy).
2. (John 15:16) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen [Gk: selected] you, and ordained [Gk: appointed] you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit [i.e., the word of God], and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
3. consider = Gk: exercise the mind, comprehend, heed: perceive, think, understand.
(2 Tim 2:8-13) Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Wherein [(in/by the gospel)] I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds [of Satan]; but the word of God is not bound. Therefore I endure all things [i.e., I am (my life is) sacrificial] for the elect's sakes [a type and shadow of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ], that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us : If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
1. (Luke 9:26) For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
(2 Tim 2:14-19) Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting [Gk: catastrophic overturn, demolition, fig. apostasy] of the hearers. Study [Gk: labour] to shew thyself [Gk: exhibit thyself] approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing [Gk: to make a straight cut, fig. to dissect (expound correctly the divine message)] the word [Gk: logos] of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings [Gk: empty, fruitless discussions]: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker [Gk: an ulser (gangrene)]: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. Nevertheless the foundation [Gk: the substructure of a building] of God [1,2,3] standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity [Gk: lawlessness, unrighteousness].
1. (Psa 127:1) A Song of degrees for Solomon. Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep [Heb: hedge about, guard, protect] the city, the watchman waketh [Heb: be alert, sleepless: be awake] but in vain.
2. (Philp 1:6) Being confident [Gk: convinced] of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it [i.e., fulfill the good work to completion] until the day of Jesus Christ:
3. (Philp 2:13-15) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke [Gk: blameless], in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights [Gk: illumination, brilliancy] in the world [Gk: kosmos; “cosmos” (universe)];
(2 Tim 2:20,21) But in a great house [i.e., in the cosmos, in the universe] there are not only vessels [containers] of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge [Gk: to cleanse thoroughly] himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet [fit] for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
1. honour = Gk: value, esteem, dignity: precious.
2. dishonour = Gk: infamy, disgrace: reproach, shame, vile.
3. sanctified = Gk: made holy, purified, consecrated, venerated: hallowed.
(2 Tim 2:22-26) Flee also youthful lusts: but follow [Gk: pursue] righteousness, faith, charity [Gk: love], peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender [Gk: bring forth] strifes [Gk: a battle, fig. controversy: fighting]. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt [empowered] to teach, patient, In meekness [Gk: humility] instructing those that oppose themselves [Acts 18:5,6; 2 Thes 2:3,4]; if God peradventure [Gk: perhaps] will give them repentance [to think differently] to the acknowledging [Gk: recognition, full discernment] [confession] of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
1. (2 Cor 10:4-6) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal [Gk: fleshly], but mighty [Gk: powerful] through God to the pulling down [Gk: demolition; fig. extinction: destruction] of strong holds [Gk: fortifications; castles; fig. arguments /// uncircumcised];) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.