EASTER: THE RESURRECTION AND THE GIFT OF ETERNAL SALVATION
04-21-19 This message may be viewed live streaming video at www.tabernacleofmoses.org commencing today Sunday at 11:00 am, and repeated 24/7 for one week; thereafter, the video, audio, and study notes are archived.
(Luke 24:1-12) Now upon the first day of the week [Sunday], very early in the morning [Gk: profound (as going down): deep], they [a few women] came unto the sepulcher [Gk: tomb], bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone [sym: of hardness of the heart]  rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus [first mention of “Lord Jesus”: 117 more matches in the epistles]. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men [“that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word (Gk: rhema) may be established” Mat 18:16] stood by them in shining [Gk: to flash as lightning /// a star] garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they [the two men/angels] said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven [disciples], and to all the rest [of other believers]. It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words [Gk: rhema] [sym: of truth] seemed to them as idle tales [Gk: silly nonsense: delirium], and they believed them not. Then arose Peter [and John (John 20:3-9], and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he [Peter] beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass [but John “believed” John 20:8].
1. (Mat 12:40) For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
And, behold, two of them
[“that in the mouth of two
or three witnesses every word (Gk: rhema) may be established” Mat
18:16] went that same day to a village
called Emmaus [Heb: a warm spring], which was
(Luke 24:28-32) And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further . But they constrained [Gk: compelled (by entreaty)] him [Why?], saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread [“I (the logos) am the bread of life” John 6:35] , and blessed it, and brake [sym: for the rhema to emerge], and gave to them. And their eyes were opened [i.e., the broken logos opened their eyes], and they knew [Gk: recognized] him; and he vanished out of their sight. And they said one to another, Did not our heart [Gk: minds] burn [because of the rhema: Heb 12:29] within us, while he talked with us by the way [to Heaven], and while he opened [“brake,” revealed] to us the scriptures?
1. (Mark 6:48) And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them.
2. (John 1:14) And the Word [Gk: logos] [the Word of God, the Bible] was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father [Jesus Christ],) full of grace and truth.
(Luke 24:33-40) And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them, Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon [Heb: hearing] [Peter (Gk: a piece of the rock)]. And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread. And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit [Gk: angel, demon] [1,2]. And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit [Gk: angel, demon] [(a thought)] hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
1. (Psa 104:4) [God] Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:
2. (Heb 1:7) And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
(Luke 24:41-49) And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered [like Peter had: Luke 24:12 ], he said unto them, Have ye here any meat [Gk: (anything) eatable]? And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And he took it, and did eat before them. And he said unto them, These are the words [Gk: logos][ [bread] which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance [Gk: to think differently, reconsider] and remission [Gk: forgiveness] of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things. (Luke 24:49) And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you [“the earnest” of the Holy Spirit, i.e., eternal salvation] : but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued [Gk: (in the sense of sinking into a garment); to invest with clothing: clothe, have (put) on] with power [Gk: miraculous power] from on high [with the fullness of the Holy Spirit]. [2,3]
1. (John 16:7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient [Gk: good, profitable] for you that I go away [(die, perish)]: for if I go not away, the Comforter [Gk: intercessor, consoler: advocate] [the Holy Spirit] will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
2. (John 20:21-23) [RECEIVING THE EARNEST OF THE HOLY SPIRIT] Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them [Gen 2:7], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit [Gk: forgive] [in the name of Jesus Christ], they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain [Gk: keep], they are retained [unto them].
a. (2 Cor 1:22) [God] Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
i. “the earnest” = Gk: a pledge, part of the purchase money or property given in advance as security for the rest.
b. (2 Cor 5:5) Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
3. (Act 2:1-4) [RECEIVING THE FULLNESS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT] And when the day of Pentecost [“the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest” Exo 34:22] was fully come, they were all with one accord [Gk: unanimously, with one mind] in one place. And suddenly there came a sound [(hearing)] from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind [and the fullness of the Holy Spirit as living water gushing up from inside each person], and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared [(seeing)] unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance [from inside, outward].
(Luke 24:50-53) And he [Jesus Christ]
led them out
as far as to Bethany [house of
dates], and he lifted up
his hands, and
blessed them. And it came to pass, while he blessed
them, he was
parted from them, and carried up into heaven. And they
and returned to