PROPHECY: FORESHADOWING (a lesson and a test, part 1)
05-26-19 This message may be viewed live streaming video at www.tabernacleofmoses.org commencing today Sunday at 11:00 am, and repeated 24/7 for one week; thereafter, the video, audio, and study notes are archived.
NATURAL MAN STUFF
(Gen 37:1,2) And Jacob [Heb: heel-catcher supplanter: trickster] [a type and shadow of our natural man] dwelt in the land wherein his father was a stranger, in the land of Canaan [Heb: merchant, traffick (trade)] . These are the generations [a history, not a regular genealogy] of Jacob. Joseph [Heb: let him add, adding] [a type and shadow of Jesus Christ], being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren [a type and shadow of “ministering,” Joseph for love, his brethren for profit (typical of today’s pastors)]; and the lad was with the sons of Bilhah [Dan & Naphtali], and with the sons of Zilpah [Gad & Asher], his father's wives [concubines, former maids] : and Joseph brought unto his father their evil report [i.e., a report of their ungodly (natural man) activities].
1. Commentary: “Canaan” = a type and shadow of this present “ungodly” world system of “take” rather than “give” wherein “the love of money is the root [syn: origin, cause, source] of all evil” (1 Tim 6:10).
2. concubine = Dict: 1. A woman who cohabits with a man although not legally married to him. 2. In certain polygamous societies, a secondary wife, of inferior social and legal status.
SPIRITUAL MAN STUFF
(Gen 37:3,4) Now Israel [Heb: he will rule as God] [a converted, saved, imputed for righteousness, formerly “Jacob” (Gen 32:28)] [a type and shadow of our spiritual man] loved Joseph [who was a perfect type and shadow of Jesus Christ, who also was perfect] [Gen 30-50] more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age : and he [Israel] made him [Joseph] a coat [Heb: covering] of many colours . And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him.
1. Commentary: “the son of his old age” = an allusion to wisdom, but primarily that Joseph was the first born (“firstfruits” 1 Cor 15:20-23) and thus eldest son of converted (born-again) Israel (Heb: he will rule as God) and his wife Rachel (Heb: a ewe, a sheep); Joseph is therein symbolized as a type and shadow of the “firstfruits” as is Jesus Christ who is the first fruits of God. Benjamin is Israel and Rachel’s second and last son, for whom Rachel died in childbirth, and as she lay dying, she (prophetically) called him Benoni (Heb: son of my sorrow) (ref. “a man of sorrows” Isa 53:3) [a], whom she, being herself a symbol of the flock of sheep, i.e., the believing congregation, prophetically died for, and then Israel named him Benjamin (Heb: son of the right hand) [b,c], who was nine (numerical symbol of the Holy Spirit) years younger than Joseph and symbolizes us. We all who are saved (the Body of Christ = Gk: anointed) are a single spiritually extended(-ing) generation (Matt 1:16,17). Please count (carefully) the 42 generations of “Jesus Christ” (Matt 1:1-17). Jesus is the 41st generation and Christ (us, the anointed, the Benjamin company) is the 42nd anointed generation extending from Jesus the Christ (anointed), through now, and on into the infinite future [d].
a. (Isa 66:8) Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion [Heb: a guiding pillar] travailed [Heb: to writhe in pain (especially in childbirth)], she brought forth her children.
b. (Psa 118:16) The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
c. (Matt 22:41-46) While the Pharisees [the unbelieving clergy] were gathered together, Jesus asked them, Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David. He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.
d. (Psa 22:30,31) A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted [Heb: numbered] to the Lord for a [(single)] generation. They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
2. Commentary: “a coat of many colours” = five strips of four colors of blue, purple, scarlet, fine linen = Heb: bleached stuff, white, symbolizing, from God outward, the covering of the “tabernacle” (Exo 26:1), and the separating “vail” (Exo 26:31), “door” (Exo 26:36), and “gate” (Exo 27:16), for a “covering” is also a “separation.”
(Gen 37:5-8) And Joseph dreamed a dream [prophesied] , and he told it his brethren: and they hated him yet the more. And he said unto them, Hear, I pray you, this dream which I have dreamed [(of the thousand year Millennium)]: For, behold, we were binding [collecting, assembling, followers to ourselves] sheaves [of wheat (another type and shadow of us)] in the field [“The field is the world” Matt 13:38], and, lo, my sheaf arose [i.e., the ascension (His and ours in Him)], and also stood upright [rather than on all fours as does an animal (“that they [the sons of men] might see that they themselves are beasts”(Eccl 3:18)]; and, behold, your sheaves stood round about, and made obeisance [Heb: bowed down] to my sheaf. And his brethren said to him, Shalt thou indeed reign over us? or shalt thou indeed have dominion over us? And they hated him yet the more for his dreams, and for his words.
1. (Job 33:14-18) For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. He keepeth back his soul from the pit [of Hell], and his life from perishing by the sword.
(Gen 37:9-11) And he dreamed yet another dream [the Rapture], and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more [(they were obviously overjoyed to hear this)]; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance [Heb: bowed down] to me. And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked [Heb: reproved] [chastised] him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I [Israel, the alive (the sun)] and thy mother [Rachel, the dead (the moon)] and thy brethren [the eleven brethren, i.e, the twelve tribes inclusively, all saved persons] [1 Thes 4:14-17] indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth [“every knee shall bow” Isa 45:23; Rom 14:11 (Yep)]? And his brethren envied him [Heb: (were) jealous (of)] [and they “hated” him the more]; but his father observed [Heb: took heed, kept (to self), marked, regarded] the saying.