DAVID AND GOLIATH: THE SPIRIT OF FAITH AND THE SPIRIT OF FEAR - CHAPTER 4
AND ONE BEARING A SHIELD WENT BEFORE HIM
(1 Sam 17:5-7) And he had an helmet of brass [brazen: symbol of sin: the brazen altar of sacrifice (the cross) “and the brazen grate for it” Exo 38:30] upon his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail [covered with jointed plates of metal (like fish scales)]; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass [125–194 lbs]. And he had greaves of brass [a shin-piece of armor] upon his legs, and a target of brass [Dakes: “a plate of brass covering the chest”] between his shoulders. And the staff [shaft] of his spear [a lance (for thrusting) - Cain] was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron [17-23 lbs]: and one bearing a shield went before him. [comp. Eph 6:10-20 “Put on the whole armour of God” – both relate six pieces of armor]
1. Nelson Study Bible = There are two different Hebrew words for “shield.” One refers to a small round shield usually worn on the left arm. The other, used here [1 Sam 17:7], refers to a much larger, oblong shield, often carried by the shield-bearer as the soldier moved into battle [behind the shield].
2. Wilson’s OT Word Studies: Shields were anointed, whether made of hide or of brass, to preserve them, and to make weapons more easily glance from them. Metaphorically: of God as a protector, and of princes, chiefs, protecting by their valor. A shield of the largest size, covering the whole body; from the middle rose a large boss, surmounted by a dagger or sharp-pointed protuberance, offensive as well as defensive.
(Gen 15:1) After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield [(i.e. the small one or buckler) – “a still small voice” 1 Kings 19:12], and thy exceeding great reward.
1. shield = Heb: a shield (i.e. the small one or buckler); fig. a protector: X armed, buckler, defence, ruler /// #1598; to hedge about, i.e. (gen.) protect: defend [the garden of Eden].
2. (Psa 5:12) For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him [to encircle (for attack or protection); espec. to crown] as with a shield.
3. (Job 1:10) Hast not thou made an hedge [shut in (for formation, protection or restraint): fence]about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
4. (Eph 6:16) Above all, taking [receiving] the shield of faith [a large shield (as door-shaped) /// a portal or entrance: door, gate], wherewith ye shall be able to quench [extinguish] all the fiery darts [missiles, i.e. spears or arrows] of the wicked.
(1 Sam 17:7) And the staff [shaft] of his spear [a lance (for thrusting) - Cain] was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron [17-23 lbs]: and one bearing a shield went before him.
1. shield = Heb: a hook (as pointed); also a (large) shield (as if guarding by prickliness); also cold (as piercing): buckler, cold, hook, shield /// to be prickly; a thorn; hence a thorn-hedge:--thorn.
2. (Luke 8:14) And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares [distractions] and riches and pleasures of this life [“entering in, choke the word” Mark 4:19], and bring no fruit to perfection.
3. (1 Sam 17:41) And the Philistine [Goliath] came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him. [Who was this man who went before Goliath bearing the shield?]
A present life application for a people walking by sight: The shield is what you see; the image which appears on the television screen or shield is created by television “producers,” hugely deceived men hiding behind the shield (screen) who are evil, false prophets “giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils” (1 Tim 4:1). The purpose behind the television shield is to control the minds of men through seduction which is an appeal to their lust nature, “the cares and riches and pleasures of this life” (Luke 8:14), and through fear; to “hook” them, that they might be “conformed to this world” (Rom 12:2); Satan is “the god of this world” (2 Cor 4:4). “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Tim 1:7).
“And the beast (Gk: dangerous animal: venomous, wild beast - Goliath) which I saw was like unto a leopard (a beast of great speed), and his feet were as the feet of a bear (a beast of crushing physical strength), and his mouth as the mouth of a lion (a beast of commanding vocal power): and the dragon (Satan) gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.” (Rev 13:2). Goliath’s television shield is getting larger and larger, bigger and bigger screens; his shield has grown global in territory and influence, symbolic of his gigantic strength, and the incredibly rapid growth of his enormous power. Like a quickly thrusting spear transfixing its prey, Goliath has deeply penetrated the hearts of unwary unsuspecting undefended millions of families in their living rooms throughout the world with fear, “And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron.” [ref. Dan 2:31-45: the “iron” and the “miry clay”]
“And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie” (2 Th 2:11). Through his shield, Goliath, who is an instrument of God, projects the deadly spear of “strong delusion” into the minds of the viewing world. Themes of the original television programs in the early 1950’s were centered on good loving light-hearted happiness and warm family well-being portrayed through family comedy and variety programs such as The Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca Hour, Jack Benney, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Nelson Family, and Howdy Doody. This “good” orientation has been thoroughly and irrevocably perverted down into pathetically sick movies and family sit-coms, which portray themes inclusive of profanity (profane = Heb: pollute, stain - defile), lying, deception, adultery, homosexuality, violence in every conceivable manner, death, rape, murder, incest etc., etc. And now through the recent agency of satellites, American television has effectively polluted (made profane, stained - defiled) the entire world with “strong delusion.”
The type of television program which serves as the encompassing role model and leading progenitor of this degenerate wolf-pack of demonically inspired producers is the modern world-wide news program which projects a continual 24/7 stream of pervasive omnipresent fear into the minds of its mesmerized audience, thereby manipulating and forming their thoughts. Modern news programs celebrate the full transition (we have arrived) of television content from being something good and wholesome into being something bad and evil. “Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven (false doctrine), which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal (ground seed: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit), till the whole was leavened (i.e. this present day).” (Mat 13:33).
The Gospel of Jesus Christ (faith - love) is “the good news;” the gospel of Satan (fear - hate) is “the bad news” – literally, every television news program. An old well-known maxim says “What you see is what you get.”Whatever it is that you receive from the false prophet, Satan’s ambassador – “and the man that bare the shield went before him” (1 Sam 17:41), is what you get, and what you get is what you become.
God Bless You