ALL ABOUT YOU: GIDEON, CHAPTER 39
BE YE ABOUT MY FATHER’S BUSINESS, SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD
(Luke 10:38-42) Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet [i.e. in humility: honor, praise, worship], and heard his word [logos; (i.e. Mary was studying – learning – increasing; ON GOOD GROUND)]. But Martha [in contrast] was cumbered [to drag all around, (fig.) distracted (with cares)] about much serving [i.e. Martha was AMONG THE THORNS], and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful [be anxious about: have care, take thought] and troubled [turbazo; to make "turbid", i.e. disturbed: troubled] about many things: But one thing is needful [necessary]: and Mary hath chosen that good part [portion], which shall not be taken away from her.
1. (2 Tim 2:15) Study to show thyself approved unto God [dokimos theos], a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word [logos] of truth. [John 1:14; 14:6]
2. study = Gk: to use speed, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: do (give) diligence, be diligent, endeavour, labour, study /// “speed”, dispatch, eagerness, earnestness: business, (earnest) care (-fulness), diligence forwardness, haste /// to "speed" ("study"), i.e. urge on (diligently or earnestly); by impl. to await eagerly:--(make, with) haste unto /// 4228. pous; a "foot" (fig. or lit.):--foot (-stool).
3. (Eph 5:14-19) Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead [born-again], and Christ shall give thee light [illumination: “God that giveth the increase” 1 Cor 3:7]. See then that ye walk circumspectly [exactly: diligently], not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine [i.e. earthly], wherein is excess [unsavedness: riot /// (not) safe, delivered, protected: healed, made whole]; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking [uttering: preaching, talking] to yourselves [other persons] in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
4. rightly dividing = Gk: to make a straight cut, (fig.) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message) /// tomoteros; (to cut; more comprehensive or decisive than kopto, as if by a single stroke; whereas kopto implies repeated blows, like hacking); more keen:--sharper. [“sharper than any twoedged sword” Heb 4:12]
5. (Luke 8:11) Now the parable is this: The seed is the word [logos] of God.
6. (Eph 6:17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word [rhema] of God:
7. Jesus Christ is the seed of God (Luke 8:11; John 1:14); the Holy Spirit is the sword of God (Heb 4:12; Eph 6:17). Become a surgeon, in effect rightly dividing, dissecting the Body of Jesus, the Word of God.
8. (Rom 10:17) So then faith [belief (spiritual growth)] cometh by hearing [logos; What was Mary doing?], and hearing [i.e. understanding] by the word [rhema] of God [i.e. the sword of the Holy Spirit who rightly divides the word of truth for us, who guides our hand: John 16:13; 1 John 2:27 ].
9. needful = Gk: employment, demand, requirement: business, lack, necessary (-ity), need (-ful), use, want.
10. (Mat 13:23) But he that received seed into the good ground [Mary] is he that heareth the word [logos], and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit [i.e. increases], and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
11. (Mat 13:22) He also that received seed among the thorns [Martha] is he that heareth the word [logos]; and the care [distractions] of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word [strangle completely; crowd /// take by the throat], and he becometh unfruitful [“and bring no fruit to perfection” Luke 8:14, i.e. does not increase (grow) to maturity].
12. turbid = Dict: 1. (of liquids) opaque or muddy with particles of extraneous matter. 2. not clear or transparent; thick, as smoke or clouds; dense. 3. disturbed; confused; muddled.
MY FATHER’S BUSINESS
THEY FOUND HIM SITTING IN THE TEMPLE, AT THE FEET OF THE DOCTORS
(Luke 2:41-52) Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. But they, supposing him to have been in the company [caravan], went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. And it came to pass, that after three days [a type and shadow of resurrection] they found him in the temple [the progressive revelation of Jesus Christ: the Tabernacle = the Temple = You (1 Cor 6:19,20)], sitting in the midst of the doctors [instructors: doctors, masters, teachers /// to teach], both hearing them, and asking them questions [i.e. studying – learning - increasing]. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. And when they [Joseph and Mary] saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing [i.e. fearing his death]. And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist [know: understand] ye not that I must be about my Father's business? And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject [subordinate: obedient, be under, submit self unto] unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature [maturity (in years or size)], and in favour with God and man.
1. (1 Cor 6:19,20) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.