ALL ABOUT YOU: GIDEON, CHAPTER 40
JOINED UNTO BAALPEOR: ROCK MUSIC
(Num 25:1-3) And Israel abode in Shittim [i.e. Great Tribulation, just before they entered into the Promised Land], and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab [an incestuous son of Lot]. And they called the [Israelite] people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down [prostrate (espec. in homage to royalty or God): do obeisance, do reverence, worship] to their gods. And Israel [he will rule as God, prince with God] joined himself [i.e. cleaved] unto Baalpeor [Baal of Peor]: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel.
1. Shittim = Heb: acacia trees /// the sticks of wood; the acacia (from its scourging thorns) /// (prop. to pierce) to flog; a goad:--scourge.
2. Whoredom = Heb: [highly fed and therefore wanton]; to commit adultery; fig. to commit idolatry (the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Jehovah): (cause to) commit fornication, be an harlot, whore.
3. Peor = Heb: a mountain East of Jordan /// to yawn, i.e. open wide:--gape, open (wide). [A mountain of power]
4. (Mat 7:13,14) Enter ye in at the strait gate [narrow (from obstacles standing close about)]: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way [road: highway], that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
5. Baalpeor = Dake’s Annotated Reference Bible: The people began to take part in the sex orgies with the prostitutes of Baal who were consecrated to their gods to commit such sins in order to attract more devotees to their religion. [A high place where the Moabites and Midianites practiced their religion]
(Num 25:4,5) And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads [captains, chiefs, rulers] of the people [1,000 men: 1 Cor 10:8], and hang them up before the LORD against [opposite] the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel. And Moses said unto the judges of Israel [the 70 elders ordained as judges: Num 11:16,17, 25-29], Slay ye [destroy, kill, put to death] every one [of you elders] his men that were joined unto Baalpeor.
1. Hang them up = Heb: to sever oneself, i.e. to be dislocated; fig. to abandon; to impale (and thus allow to drop to pieces by rotting):--be alienated, depart, hang (up), be out of joint.
2. Dake’s: They were nailed to a stake, as in crucification. The Vulgate renders it crucify.
3. (Gal 3:13) Christ hath redeemed us [to buy up, ransomed; fig. to rescue from loss] from the curse of the law [i.e. if you sin, you die], being made a curse for us: for it is written [Deut 21:23], Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
4. If you do not accept His payment in full for your sin (like not accepting a Christmas present - faith), you will pay the price for your sin yourself.
(Num 25:6-9) And, behold, one of the children of Israel [a prince of Israel] came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman [a princess of Midian] in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping [about the plague which had already started] before the door [gate] of the tabernacle of the congregation. And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin [spear] in his hand; And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly [Why?]. So the plague [pestilence: slaughter] was stayed [held back, restrained, stopped] from the children of Israel. And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.
1. Midian = Heb: quarrel: brawling, contention (-ous), discord, strife.
(Num 25:10-15) And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous [exceeding enthusiastic] for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy. Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace: And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement [to cover: forgiveness, reconciliation] for the children of Israel. Now the name of the Israelite that was slain, even that was slain with the Midianitish woman, was Zimri, the son of Salu [weighed (judged)], a prince of a chief house among the Simeonites [hearing]. And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur [rock]; he was head over a people, and of a chief house in Midian.
1. Zimri = Heb: musical /// to make music, accompanied by the voice; hence to celebrate in song and music:--give praise, sing forth praises, psalms.
2. Cozbi = Heb: false /// to lie (i.e. deceive):--fail, (be found a, make a) liar, lie, lying, be in vain.
3. (Isa 14:11,12) Thy pomp [arrogancy, majesty, pride, swelling] is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols [a lyre: psaltery (stringed instruments: NKJV)]: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! [How exactly did Lucifer/Satan weaken the nations?]
4. (Amos 5:21-24) I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. But let judgment [i.e. discernment between good and evil] run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.
5. "Rock Music." Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. 2004. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. Rock and Roll. Musical style that arose in the U.S. in the mid-1950s and became the dominant form of popular music in the world. Though rock has used a wide variety of instruments, its basic elements are one or several vocalists, heavily amplified electric guitars (including bass, rhythm, and lead), and drums. …highly rhythmic, sensual music… In the 1980s the disco-influenced rock of Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince was balanced by the post-punk “new wave” music of performers such as Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads (led by David Byrne), and the Eurythmics—all of whom illustrated their songs with music videos. By the 1990s rock music had incorporated grunge, rap, techno, and other forms.
6. (Dan 3:1-6) Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold [money: “Ye cannot serve God and mammon” Mat 6:24; Luke 16:1-13; “For the love of money is the root of all evil” 1 Tim 6:10], whose height was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof six cubits: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon [confusion]. Then Nebuchadnezzar the king sent to gather together the princes, the governors, and the captains, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, to come to the dedication of the image which Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up. Then the princes, the governors, and captains, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, were gathered together unto the dedication of the image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up; and they stood before the image that Nebuchadnezzar had set up. Then an herald cried aloud, To you it is commanded, O people, nations, and languages, That at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, dulcimer, and all kinds of music, ye fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king hath set up: And whoso falleth not down and worshippeth shall the same hour be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.
(Num 25:16-18) And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Vex the Midianites, and smite them: For they vex you [afflict, besiege] with their wiles [deceit], wherewith they have beguiled you [conspired, deceived, dealt subtilly] in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor's sake.
Rock and Roll
Musical style that arose in the U.S. in the mid-1950s
and became the dominant form of popular music in the world.
Though rock has used a wide variety of instruments, its basic elements are one or several vocalists, heavily amplified electric guitars (including bass, rhythm, and lead), and drums. It began as a simple style, relying on heavy, dance-oriented rhythms, uncomplicated melodies and harmonies, and lyrics sympathetic to its teenage audience's concerns—young love, the stresses of adolescence, and automobiles. Its roots lay principally in rhythm and blues (R&B) and country music. Both R&B and country existed outside the mainstream of popular music in the early 1950s, when the Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed (1921–65) and others began programming R&B, which until then had been played only to black audiences. Freed's success gave currency to the term rock and roll. The highly rhythmic, sensual music of Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and the Comets, and particularly Elvis Presley in 1955–56 struck a responsive chord in the newly affluent postwar teenagers. In the 1960s several influences combined to lift rock out of what had already declined into a bland and mechanical format. In England, where rock's development had been slow, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were found to have retained the freshness of its very early years and achieved enormous success in the U.S., where a new generation had grown up unaware of the musical influences of the new stars. At the same time, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, the Byrds, and others were blending the traditional ballads and verse forms of folk music with rock, and musicians began to explore social and political themes. Performers such as the Grateful Dead, Jim Morrison of the Doors, and Frank Zappa of the Mothers of Invention combined imaginative lyrics with instrumental virtuosity, typically featuring lengthy solo improvisation. Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix won large followings with their exotic elaborations on R&B. The 1970s saw the rise of singer-songwriters such as Paul Simon, Neil Young, Elton John, David Bowie, and Bruce Springsteen, and rock assimilated other forms to produce jazz-rock, heavy metal, and punk rock. In the 1980s the disco-influenced rock of Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince was balanced by the post-punk “new wave” music of performers such as Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads (led by David Byrne), and the Eurythmics—all of whom illustrated their songs with music videos. By the 1990s rock music had incorporated grunge, rap, techno, and other forms.