MENTION OF MELCHIZEDEK, AND OF THE TITHE
(Gen 14:17-20) And the king of Sodom went out to meet him [Abram] after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale [Heb: valley]. And Melchizedek [first mention in the Bible] king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. And he [Melchizedek] blessed him [Abram], and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he [Abram] gave him [Melchizedek] tithes of all [first mention in the Bible].
1. Melchizedek = Heb: king of - right, prosperity, justice, righteousness.
2. Salem = Heb: peace. [an old name for Jerusalem]
CHRIST IS A PRIEST FOREVER AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK
(Psa 110:1-7) A Psalm of David. The LORD [Jehovah] said unto my Lord [Jesus Christ], Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies [i.e, during the 1,000 year Millennium]. Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. He shall drink of the brook [of the Holy Spirit] in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head [be exalted].
1. (Rev 2:26,27) And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
2. (Rev 12:5) And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
3. (Rev 19:15,16) And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in
things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:
Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way;
for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. And by reason hereof he
ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. And no
man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was
Aaron. So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high
priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I
begotten thee [Psa 2:7]. As he saith also in another place, Thou
art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec [Psa 110:4].
Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications
with strong crying and tears [in the garden of Gethsemane = Heb: oil-press]
unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all
them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of
1. (Psa 2:6-9) Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
(Heb 6:20) Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. (Heb 7:1-4) For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all [the tithe]; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God [i.e., Jesus Christ]; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils [the first tithe in the Bible].
WAS MADE A PRIEST WITH AN OATH (AS ARE WE)
(Heb 7:20-24) And inasmuch as not without an oath he [Jesus] was made priest: (For those [Levitical] priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:) By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death: But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. [and Abram tithed to Melchizedek!]
TITHE IS WITHHELD FROM THE MELCHIZEDEK PRIESTHOOD BY MANY
(Mal 3:7-12) Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat [Heb: food] in mine house, and prove me [Heb: test me] now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open [for] you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
1. (Psa 23:4-6) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
AmenClick here, or on the diagram for a printable (PDF) version.